Based in Toronto, Ontario
PC & Mac
DescriptionLovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a frantic 1- or 2-player local co-op action game in development for PC and Mac. Set inside a neon spaceship, players work together manning turrets, lasers, shields and thrusters to fight robots, save animals, and stave off a vacuumy demise. Deep space is a dangerous place, but at least you don’t have to face it alone!
HistoryLovers in a Dangerous Spacetime started life at the Toronto Global Game Jam in January 2012. The idea came out of a discussion about Artemis, and thinking how cool it would be to make a game out of that frantic scene in Star Wars where Han and Luke are climbing ladders and shooting TIE fighters in the Falcon. After developing a prototype at the game jam, we've been working on the game in full production mode since June 2012, and are planning a 2013 release. We also regularly show the game at events and festivals to get player feedback while we're still in development. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is the second game from Asteroid Base, a team spawned in Toronto's game jam scene comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), illustrator Jamie Tucker, and programmer Adam Winkels, with music by Ryan Henwood.
- Team up with a friend, or play solo with the help of a loyal space-pet
- Use turrets, shields and superlasers to fight enemies, or take the helm to dodge bombs and attacks
- Explore a colourful universe of asteroid belts, planets, and solar systems
- Upgrade your ship with ridiculous powerups
- Get mad at your friend for not manning the rear turret like you told them to
First Look Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF 2013 – Excellence in Visual Art" Finalist
- "Indiecade 2013" Official Selection - Night Games
- "2013 PAX 10" Official Selection
- "Gamercamp 2013" Official Selection
- "Eurogamer Expo 2013" Virgin Media Game Space Selection
- "Extra Credits Awards 2013" Innovation Award
- "Co-Optimus Best of E3" Nominated
- "The stunningly voguish visuals are the most noticeable feature of Asteroid Base's 'co-op micro-platformer'."
- HYPE Round-up, EDGE #248
- "The art style is gorgeous – a bit like a more colourful Samurai Jack in space."
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper Shotgun
- "I was stopped short by a single screenshot."
- Brandon Boyer, Venus Patrol
- "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime will also be one of the most unique co-op games of the year."
- Staff, Indie Statik
- "It's like a platformer inside a space shooter, which is also a tower defense game, and it looks fun to interact with in a way tower defense games usually are not."
- JC Fletcher, Joystiq
- "It's bright and energetic -- due in no small part to the music."
- Conrad Zimmerman, Destructoid
About Asteroid Base
Formed in Toronto, Canada, Asteroid Base is an indie game studio consisting of multitalented artists and developers who came together in the local game jam scene. The team is comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), Jamie Tucker, and Adam Winkels. To date we have released one jam game, the 4-player ninja skydiving button masher Shuriken Skies, and are currently working on Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime.
More information on Asteroid Base, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Credits
Animator, Programmer, Game Designer
Illustrator, Programmer, Game Designer
Programmer, Game Designer
Ryan Henwood / Blue Sound and Music
Music and Sound Design