Based in Toronto, Ontario
September 9, 2015
LOVERS IN A DANGEROUS SPACETIME is a frantic 1- or 2-player couch co-op action space shooter. Explore a colorful galaxy in a massive neon battleship that you control together by manning turrets, lasers, shields and thrusters. Only through teamwork can you triumph over the evil forces of Anti-Love, rescue kidnapped space-bunnies, and avoid a vacuumy demise. Deep space is a dangerous place, but you don’t have to face it alone!
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime started life at the Toronto Global Game Jam in January 2012. The idea came out of a discussion about Artemis, and thinking how cool it would be to make a game out of that frantic scene in Star Wars where Han and Luke are climbing ladders and shooting TIE fighters in the Falcon. After developing a prototype at the game jam, we've been working on the game since June 2012, but went into full-time production in January 2014. We also regularly show the game at events and festivals to get player feedback while we're still in development. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is the second game from Asteroid Base, a team spawned in Toronto's game jam scene comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), illustrator Jamie Tucker, and programmer Adam Winkels, with music by Ryan Henwood.
- CO-OP GAMEPLAY: 2 players (or 1 player plus a loyal AI space-pet) need to work together to man the different battle stations, dashing back and forth between weapons, shields and engines. Both players fill important roles at all times, and nobody gets left behind.
- UPGRADEABLE SHIPS: Find and combine powerful space-gems to customize your ship's load-out. Each gem gives provides different abilities, letting you learn the right tools for every situation.
- SIMPLE CONTROLS, DEEP CHALLENGE: Controlling your spacenaut is so simple that anyone can jump in quickly, but getting both players to work together like a well-oiled machine, battling a galaxy of evil robots and constellations — that’s the tricky part.
- A NEW EXPERIENCE EVERY TIME: Randomized level layouts mean that both players will be exploring fresh areas every time you play.
Release Trailer YouTube
Gameplay B-Roll YouTube
Action Shots (40 s) YouTube
Cetus Gameplay (2 min) YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "PAX East 2015 Curse Awards" Most Unique Game Setting
- "IndieCade East 2015: Love and Rejection" Official Selection
- "Fantastic Arcade 2014" Official Selection
- "IGF 2013 – Excellence in Visual Art" Finalist
- "Indiecade 2013" Official Selection - Night Games
- "PAX 10 2013" Official Selection
- "Brazilian Independent Games Festival 2014" Winner - Best Gameplay
- "Destructoid Best of PAX East 2014" Winner
- "Gamercamp 2013" Official Selection
- "Eurogamer Expo 2013" Virgin Media Game Space Selection
- "Extra Credits Awards 2013" Innovation Award
- "BigSushi.fm Golden Sushi of Sophistication"
- "Co-Optimus Best of E3" Nominated
- "4 Player Network PAX East Best in Show" Winner
- "The stunningly voguish visuals are the most noticeable feature of Asteroid Base's 'co-op micro-platformer'."
- HYPE Round-up, EDGE #248
- "The art style is gorgeous – a bit like a more colourful Samurai Jack in space."
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper Shotgun
- "I was stopped short by a single screenshot."
- Brandon Boyer, Venus Patrol
- "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime will also be one of the most unique co-op games of the year."
- Staff, Indie Statik
- "It's like a platformer inside a space shooter, which is also a tower defense game, and it looks fun to interact with in a way tower defense games usually are not."
- JC Fletcher, Joystiq
- "It's bright and energetic -- due in no small part to the music."
- Conrad Zimmerman, Destructoid
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Asteroid Base does currently not allow for the contents of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime to be published through video broadcasting services.
About Asteroid Base
Formed in Toronto, Asteroid Base is an independent video game studio founded by three friends – an illustrator, an animator and a particle physicist. Asteroid Base has experience developing on various platforms, and the studio’s latest title, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, will launch soon.
More information on Asteroid Base, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Credits
Animator, Programmer, Game Designer
Illustrator, Programmer, Game Designer
Programmer, Game Designer
Ryan Henwood / Deep Roots Sound
Music and Sound Design