Based in Toronto, Ontario
PC & Mac
DescriptionLovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a frantic 1- or 2-player couch co-op action game coming to Xbox One and Steam (PC + Mac). Explore a colourful galaxy in a massive neon battleship that you control together by manning turrets, lasers, shields and thrusters. Only through teamwork can you triumph over evil robots, rescue kidnapped space bunnies, and avoid a vacuumy demise. Deep space is a dangerous place, but you don’t have to face it alone!
HistoryLovers in a Dangerous Spacetime started life at the Toronto Global Game Jam in January 2012. The idea came out of a discussion about the game Artemis, and thinking how cool it would be to make a game out of that frantic scene in Star Wars where Han and Luke are climbing ladders and shooting TIE fighters in the Falcon. After developing a prototype at the game jam, we've been working on the game since June 2012, and went into full-time production in January 2014. We also regularly show the game at events and festivals to get player feedback while we're still in development. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is the second game from Asteroid Base, a team spawned in Toronto's game jam scene comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), illustrator Jamie Tucker, and programmer Adam Winkels, with music by Ryan Henwood.
- Co-op gameplay: 2 players (or 1 player plus a loyal AI space-dog) need to work together to man the crazy spaceship controls, dashing back and forth between weapons, shields and engine stations. Both players have important roles at all times, and nobody gets left behind.
- Simple controls, deep play: Controlling your little astronaut is simple enough for anyone to pick up--just a stick and 2 buttons. But getting both players to work together like a well-oiled machine battling a galaxy of evil robots? That’s tricky.
- A new experience every time: Randomized level layouts mean that both players will be exploring fresh areas every time you play. Lovers is about working together to adapt to new situations, rather than memorizing levels.
- Customizable ships: Find powerful space gems to customize your loadout. Will you throw a Metal Gem on your ship’s shield to morph it into spikey steel armor, or throw it on your engine, enabling it to leave a trail of deadly space-caltrops? What effect would it have on your turrets? And what if you combine it with other gems? The upgrade combinations are endless.
E3 2014 Trailer YouTube
Action Shots (40 s) YouTube
Cetus Gameplay (2 min) YouTube
E3 2014 Trailer - Download
65.1 MB (right-click to save) Lovers_E32014Trailer.mov
GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE: 2 min, with music
153 MB (right-click to save) lovers_2min_gameplay_no-ui_music.mov
GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE: 2 min, no music
153 MB (right-click to save) lovers_2min_gameplay_no-ui_no-music.mov
B-ROLL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE: 30 seconds, full UI, music
37 MB (right-click to save) lovers_30s_b-roll_ui_music.mov
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IndieCade East 2015: Love and Rejection" Official Selection
- "Fantastic Arcade 2014" Official Selection
- "IGF 2013 – Excellence in Visual Art" Finalist
- "Indiecade 2013" Official Selection - Night Games
- "PAX 10 2013" Official Selection
- "Brazilian Independent Games Festival 2014" Winner - Best Gameplay
- "Destructoid Best of PAX East 2014" Winner
- "Gamercamp 2013" Official Selection
- "Eurogamer Expo 2013" Virgin Media Game Space Selection
- "Extra Credits Awards 2013" Innovation Award
- "BigSushi.fm Golden Sushi of Sophistication"
- "Co-Optimus Best of E3" Nominated
- "4 Player Network PAX East Best in Show" Winner
- "The stunningly voguish visuals are the most noticeable feature of Asteroid Base's 'co-op micro-platformer'."
- HYPE Round-up, EDGE #248
- "The art style is gorgeous – a bit like a more colourful Samurai Jack in space."
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper Shotgun
- "I was stopped short by a single screenshot."
- Brandon Boyer, Venus Patrol
- "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime will also be one of the most unique co-op games of the year."
- Staff, Indie Statik
- "It's like a platformer inside a space shooter, which is also a tower defense game, and it looks fun to interact with in a way tower defense games usually are not."
- JC Fletcher, Joystiq
- "It's bright and energetic -- due in no small part to the music."
- Conrad Zimmerman, Destructoid
About Asteroid Base
Formed in Toronto, Canada, Asteroid Base is an indie game studio consisting of multitalented artists and developers who came together in the local game jam scene. The team is comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), Jamie Tucker, and Adam Winkels. To date we have released one jam game, the 4-player ninja skydiving button masher Shuriken Skies, and are currently working on Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime.
More information on Asteroid Base, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Credits
Animator, Programmer, Game Designer
Illustrator, Programmer, Game Designer
Programmer, Game Designer
Ryan Henwood / Blue Sound and Music
Music and Sound Design