Based in Toronto, Ontario
PC & Mac
DescriptionLovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a frantic local co-op platformer-inside-a-shooter, in which players work together piloting a bright pink battleship to save planets, explore the galaxy, and fight evil robots. Players must dash back and forth between the ship’s control stations, manning turrets, lasers, shields and thrusters in order to dodge asteroids, blast enemies and liberate planets. The game could be described as Jumpman meets Asteroids meets Han saying “Don’t get cocky.”
HistoryLovers in a Dangerous Spacetime started life at the Toronto Global Game Jam in January 2012. The idea came out of a discussion about Artemis, and thinking how cool it would be to make a game out of that frantic scene in Star Wars where Han and Luke are climbing ladders and shooting TIE fighters in the Falcon. After developing a prototype at the game jam, we've been working on the game in full production mode since June 2012, and are planning a 2013 release. We also regularly show the game at events and festivals to get player feedback while we're still in development. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is the second game from Asteroid Base, a team spawned in Toronto's game jam scene comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), illustrator Jamie Tucker, and programmer Adam Winkels, with music by Ryan Henwood.
- Frantic local co-op: You and a friend dash between battlestations to defend your ship.
- Use guns, shields and superlasers to fight evil space jellyfish, or take the helm to dodge bombs and asteroids.
- Explore the galaxy, save planets, and discover hidden powerups.
- Make the most of your battleship--upgrade your battlestations to create your own custom loadout.
- Get mad at your friend for not manning the rear turret like you told them to.
First Look Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF 2013 – Excellence in Visual Art" Finalist
- "Indiecade 2013" Official Selection - Night Games
- "2013 PAX 10" Official Selection
- "Gamercamp 2013" Official Selection
- "Eurogamer Expo 2013" Virgin Media Game Space Selection
- "Extra Credits Awards 2013" Innovation Award
- "Co-Optimus Best of E3" Nominated
- "The stunningly voguish visuals are the most noticeable feature of Asteroid Base's 'co-op micro-platformer'."
- HYPE Round-up, EDGE #248
- "The art style is gorgeous – a bit like a more colourful Samurai Jack in space."
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper Shotgun
- "I was stopped short by a single screenshot."
- Brandon Boyer, Venus Patrol
- "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime will also be one of the most unique co-op games of the year."
- Staff, Indie Statik
- "It's like a platformer inside a space shooter, which is also a tower defense game, and it looks fun to interact with in a way tower defense games usually are not."
- JC Fletcher, Joystiq
- "It's bright and energetic -- due in no small part to the music."
- Conrad Zimmerman, Destructoid
About Asteroid Base
Asteroid Base is a Toronto-based indie game studio of multi-talented artists and developers, who came together in 2011 in Toronto’s game jam scene. Asteroid Base is comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), illustrator Jamie Tucker, and programmer Adam Winkels. To date we have released one jam game, the 4-player ninja skydiving button masher Shuriken Skies, and are currently working on Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime.
More information on Asteroid Base, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Credits
Animator, Programmer, Game Designer
Illustrator, Programmer, Game Designer
Programmer, Game Designer
Ryan Henwood / Blue Sound and Music
Music and Sound Design