Based in Toronto, Ontario
Xbox One, Steam: September 9, 2015 PlayStation 4: February 9, 2016
Explore a neon galaxy in your very own battleship in LOVERS IN A DANGEROUS SPACETIME, a thrilling 1- to 4-player couch co-op adventure. Only through teamwork can you triumph over the evil forces of Anti-Love, rescue kidnapped space-bunnies, and avoid a vacuumy demise. Deep space is a dangerous place, but you don’t have to face it alone!
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime started life at the Toronto Global Game Jam in January 2012. The idea came out of a discussion about Artemis, and thinking how cool it would be to make a game out of that frantic scene in Star Wars where Han and Luke are climbing ladders and shooting TIE fighters in the Falcon. After developing a prototype at the game jam, we've been working on the game since June 2012, but went into full-time production in January 2014. We also regularly show the game at events and festivals to get player feedback while we're still in development. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is the second game from Asteroid Base, a team spawned in Toronto's game jam scene comprised of Matt Hammill (creator of the award-winning Gesundheit! on iOS), illustrator Jamie Tucker, and programmer Adam Winkels, with music by Ryan Henwood.
- CO-OP GAMEPLAY: 2- to 4-players (or 1-player plus a loyal AI space-pet) need to work together to man the different battle stations, dashing back and forth between weapons, shields and engines. All players fill important roles at all times, and nobody gets left behind.
- UPGRADEABLE SHIPS: Find and combine powerful space-gems to customize your ship's load-out. Each gem provides different abilities, letting you learn the right tools for every situation.
- SIMPLE CONTROLS, DEEP CHALLENGE: Controlling your spacenaut is so simple that anyone can jump in quickly, but getting all players to work together like a well-oiled machine, battling a galaxy of evil robots and constellations — that’s the tricky part.
- A NEW EXPERIENCE EVERY TIME: Randomized level layouts mean that all players will be exploring fresh areas every time you play.
4-Player Update YouTube
Intro Cutscene YouTube
Gameplay B-Roll YouTube
Action Shots (40 s) YouTube
Cetus Gameplay (2 min) YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "BAFTA Gaming Awards 2016 – Multiplayer, Debut Game, Game Design" Nominated
- "SXSW Gaming Awards 2016 – Excellence in Multiplayer " Nominated
- "PAX East 2015 Curse Awards" Most Unique Game Setting
- "IndieCade East 2015: Love and Rejection" Official Selection
- "Fantastic Arcade 2014" Official Selection
- "IGF 2013 – Excellence in Visual Art" Finalist
- "Indiecade 2013" Official Selection - Night Games
- "PAX 10 2013" Official Selection
- "Brazilian Independent Games Festival 2014" Winner - Best Gameplay
- "Destructoid Best of PAX East 2014" Winner
- "Gamercamp 2013" Official Selection
- "Eurogamer Expo 2013" Virgin Media Game Space Selection
- "Extra Credits Awards 2013" Innovation Award
- "BigSushi.fm Golden Sushi of Sophistication"
- "Co-Optimus Best of E3" Nominated
- "4 Player Network PAX East Best in Show" Winner
- "I was stopped short by a single screenshot."
- Brandon Boyer, Venus Patrol
- "It represents everything I love about couch co-op titles."
- Matt Whittaker, Hardcore Gamer
- "How does such a cute game terrify a full grown man?"
- Ron Duwell, TechnoBuffalo
- "When the bullets start flying, the aesthetic is an oddly hypnotic ballet of carnage and color."
- Luke Brown, ArcadeSushi
- "Stressful? Yeah. But also so much damn fun."
- Evan Narcisse, Kotaku
Request Press Copy
Request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Asteroid Base allows for the contents of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is legally & explicitly allowed by Asteroid Base. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.asteroidbase.com/press/sheet.php?p=Lovers_in_a_Dangerous_Spacetime#monetize.
About Asteroid Base
Formed in Toronto, Asteroid Base is an independent video game studio founded by three friends – an illustrator, an animator and a particle physicist. Asteroid Base has experience developing on various platforms, and the studio’s latest title, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, will launch soon.
More information on Asteroid Base, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Credits
Animator, Programmer, Game Designer
Illustrator, Programmer, Game Designer
Programmer, Game Designer
Ryan Henwood / Deep Roots Sound
Music and Sound Design